Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Lines on the Road

LINES ON THE ROAD

There it stands before me and them
Sometimes 2, sometimes 1, and others just dashes
I counted you when I was but a child
You were the invisible gate
A line to determine our origins and our endings
As I aged I realized your importance
I realized what negligence to your rules meant
I tested the waters anyway swaying ever closer to danger
Legally you allow us to cross at times
At our own peril; at speeds to conquer
But even our brief trips were governed
A slight slip and the consequences were great
What lay just across your invisible wall
I can see it all and yet I cannot access it at length
Just to touch that freedom
To tear from the lines governing my life
To experience chances with fate
It is not rational. NO!
However, I still have these desires
Cross my double line
Steal away the possibility to coast safely
To find a new ending sooner than my destination
A double line to determine our origins and our endings
A flashing light to re direct
A piercing sound to bring me back to reality
Alas a monitory increment to remind me of my frailty
A new cage constructed in my mind locked with a slip of yellow
A new destination at a time to be determined
Freedom so close slips away again
Stolen by the double line
Stolen by the enforcers of civility
These urges pass
I return to the right and drive on
Ever wary of the intangible wall
The dark tunnel of night
Facing down your end in two high beams

-saintpepsi-

No comments: