Tuesday, February 3, 2009

How I Read


So I read in one of three ways; one of which most would not consider to be reading but those people also like eating mushrooms... ewwwwww Anyway, When I can I like to read in a place with things going on around me. For instance at a bar, restaurant, or coffee shop I find the healthy amount of distraction allows me to concentrate better. I have one of those ADD minds I guess you could call it. Usually, I have to multitask and reading is something that you have to do one at a time. For instance when I draw I draw and watch tv, movies, whatever, check things online what ever I can but ultimately I focus on drawing. So when I read and have things going on around me it allows a portion of myself to focus on things around me while the rest focus' on reading. Sounds weird but its actually one of the most fool proof ways I have found... I tried walking and reading at the same time but it's cold out for one and two I tripped a lot. So that's way out.

Way two is if I have to in an easy chair in my living room with a reading light, Fire place lit (optional - if I want to take the effort to get it going) With a knit blanket my mother gave me for Christmas... (by the way mom that blanket is sooo awesome!!!) Leaning back with a bottle of water at my side and if I'm lucky a granola bar or something easy to munch on that won't trek from my fingers to the pages. After getting that all set up I put on some music. Now I have the scores to many different types of movies. These I find to work the best... For instance if you are reading a swords ans sorcery book listen to LOTR, POTC, Harry Potter, Narnia tales any of those work or if you reading sci-fi like when I read Ender's Game, the scores to Battlestar Gallactica, star wars, Star Trek I mean pick your poison they all work just find commonality with your themes. I personally am a big fan of swords and sorcery my favorite author is David Farland, Recently, I finished C. Paolini's third book Brisingr that my mom got for me It was very good defiantly looking forward to the next one in that series. Currently, I'm reading the third book in the Wayfinders Redemption series by Sara Douglass. The picture at the top is from Brisingr of Eragon. Usually, with the fire and the music it allows me to concentrate pretty well although the comfort of being at home makes it very easy to fall asleep.

Lastly, this one being the one most will probably assume isn't really reading but I feel I get through a book anyway and can multitask at the same time is... Audio books, I'm about to finish up the Dark Tower series all of which I listened too on audio book. This is only ever bad if they get a really annoying voice actor or change from a good voice actor to a different one in the middle of a series. Either way I also like listening to books. Usually, I will listen to books on long road trips if I'm by myself or when I am at home and coloring in pictures as digital coloring is also a job that requires focus and a lack of multi-tasking. two birds one stone right. Usually, I listen to series that I don't feel I would have gotten around to reading. Sometimes if a series is really good after I finish listening to it I will go buy the hard back. Which by the way is a must. If you can find a hard back copy always buy that. they are way better that paperback. Smell better too. To the people who read this how do you like to read?

pepsi

1 comment:

Sea Sharp said...

when i read, i only like the very mildest of distraction. music turned very low is satisfactory. it's nice to have something crunchy near by. carrots, celary, crackers, ect. are the perfect snack. each time i crunch, it's like i'm reading out loud. sometimes i get too full to read but, try to really pace myself and chew slowly. i also require good lighting, a comfortable couch or bed with multiple pillows and a mega heavy blanket. i must stay away from windows because my mind tends to wonder out them and my mind is very hard to get back once it's taken a leap. incense is a bonus. the end